Homepage for Normanby Church
Morning Prayer 2nd Sunday of Month at 10.30 am.
Holy Communion 4th Sunday of Month at 11 am.
History with thanks to Bernie Frank.
St Andrews is a small bellcote church facing what used to be the Smithy. The church dates from 1150. It was under the patronage of St. Mary'sAbbey at York until the dissolution of the monasteries. The Abbey alsoowned land to the north. The Abbey presented the living until 1513 whenthe Abbot and canons conveyed the advowson (patronage) to Thomas Flintoff, whopresented until the dissolution.
The chancel measures 19'9'' by 17'6''. The nave is 34'9'' by 19'2''.It is built of coursed rubble and in the present day has a tiledroof. The doorway, nave plan, zigzag fragments and the later northarcade are 12th century. Other stones in the porch have chevronmarks carved in them. There is a 12th century corbel built into the westwall. The seat in the porch is the base of the old original pillars. The chancel arch is 14th century and shows dragons, leaves and a face. On the north there are grotesque snake tailed birdswhile the south is decorated with ivy leaves. There is a 17thcentury communion rail.
There is a stained glass window in memory of the Rev E.H.M. Jackson whowas rector 1897 to 1926. The stone under the altar table is supposed to be the old altar slab. The bottom stone of the pulpit window on the west side is part of an old stone coffin. The silver plate is a cup and coverdated 1662, made byMarmaduke Best of York.A communion chalice dating back to the 1600s was taken out of general use in 1958. Hannah Foxton paid for a new one. A new doorway was also added in the chancel. From the 12th century onwards-church walls were consecrated with oil and marked with a cross. At Normanby there arethree for each wall inside and out. Traces can still be seen.
The present organ dates from 1851 and was installed in 1990. It came froma Methodist chapel in Norfolk. There was anelectric organ blower wasinstalled in 1959 at a cost of ¬£103-19s-11d. There are medieval gravestones. Fragments of medieval gravestones have been built into the walls of nave and porch.
Any changes to the church have to be authorised especially near the old graves. Even by the church wall there could be 'walled graves' wheresuch as still born children were placed in unmarked burials, hence the expression ‚Äėto go to the wall‚Äô. On the 13th November 1917 the first confirmation service was held with the Bishop of Beverley officiating.
A memorial tablet records Private AlbertThomas Walton who died in the Great War. He was in the Northumberland Fusiliersand was killed on the 22nd of March 1918. The tablet was made inLondon and is of Respouse copper on ablackmarble background.
Tothe East of the church was a fishpond - probably only wet at certain times of the year. Sometimes the children couldbefound there boatingin large wooden pig-scalding troughs. Not far from the Church is amineral spring . The small stone building to the South of the church isthe old coke house. There used to be two coke fires to heat the church.
The church has been repaired and re-furbished a number of times. Some work was done on the Church in 1718. Thechancel of the Church used tobe 6' longer. Some sepulchre slabs were found built into a wall. They were placed in thefloor of the north aisle. There was also somerestoration work in 1771. Thomas Mears of London cast a bell in 1795 forthe Church.
The Church was rebuilt for John Hill and restored by T. Moore in 1893-1895 with rebuilt chancel and north isle. In theislethere are two13th century coffin slabs with roughly cut Maltese crosses. The roof had been in a sorry state. A 15thcentury window was reset in the north wall and a 13th century arcade was opened out. The chancel arch was rebuilt. Itistwo chamfered orders on semi octagonal responds with capitals.
A new east window with three lights was inserted, the work of Mr. VictorMilner of London. It was dedicated to JamesHill who was rector from 1847 to 1893. A new west window was also made depicting St. Andrew, St. Phillip and St. James. The subjects are the crucifixion; the Holy Virgin and St. John. A bell was recast.
Astone font, probably 17th century work, was installed in 1894 with an eight-sided stone pedestal, replacing a woodenone, which was put at the south door as an alms box. However, this older container is moreprobably a holy waterstoupas it is lined in lead.
Six iron and copper lamps were installed. Mr Yearsley, a builder fromMalton, did most of the work helped by Mr.Barnes, a stonemason fromMalton. The cost was ¬£1270 plus ¬£18-18s for the American organ. Mrs Suss contributed¬£101-13s-2d. She owned Bridge farm, Eastfield farm andWillow house and lived at Keldholme Priory.
The Earl of Feversham gave ¬£100. An inscription on the West windowsays 'dedicated by William Earnest, Earl of Feversham to the glory of God andin memory of his dear friend the Rev J. Hill, MA, Rector. An arcadecirca 1150 wasuncovered in the north wall.
The church accounts of 1870 mention 2 days walling (6s), a bill from therailway for gravel and bricks bought from Amotherby. The clerk's wageswere ¬£3 in 1799. They were ¬£7 by 1811. By 1898 they were ¬£8. They were still only ¬£12 in1939. The 1828 records say the schoolhouse and parishstable was rebuilt at a cost of ¬£58.
In1965 Hill and Jackson installed heating equipment.
There are two bells in the gable. They have ancient uses as a means of banishing evil, and are rung in emergencies. Thomas Mears of London in1795 and weighs 126 lbs cast the larger bell. The smaller bell weighs 112lbs and was recastby Mallaby ofMashamin1895. In recent years the bells have been re-hung with the help of a donation from MargaretWood. Traditional techniques were used includingsome original nails. Metal parts were made locally but some are builtin stainless steel to last even longer than the originals. The bell ropes were finished in natural fibres but after some timewater seeping from the roof caused rotting. Peter Smith has now handsomely finished the ends of the ropes in Americanoak.
Inthe late 1980's a quinquennial (5 years)report showed that the Church roof and stonework was in urgent need of repair, at that time there was a congregation of perhaps 14, and virtually all the money would have to be raised locally becauseEnglish Heritage was unable to offer grants, the task seemed formidable. The money was achieved in five years by fundraising, an appeal and by David Crummackthe treasurer running a tight ship. Memorable fund raisingevents were: Peter Woodall's auction of gifts held at Mr. & Mrs Reg Marton's Rise Farm, a very successful Savoury & Cheese evening atNormanby Hill by kind permission of Mr. &Mrs Phillip Bell and the remaining contents of the Schoolroom were putin an Auction at Willow House. The large oil painting given to the Church by Mrs Tweedie, once ofRiseborough Hall was sold at a LondonAuction House. A Pedestal was put in the Church in memory of MrsTweedie. Amongst a host of othervaluable individual efforts a collection in Church at the wedding ofSally Tillotson of GreatBarugh was for the Roof Appeal Fund.The Appealbrought donations from some who had had Normanbyconnections previously. "Proof that a village is part of one'slife, and is thought of as "home" fifty years on."
Fortunately the roof timbers on exposure were in good condition andnot the worry they might have been. Consequentlythere weresufficient funds to purchase a new organ as well, at a cost of lessthan ¬£2,000.
The parish register records church officers over the centuries. These included curates Mat Hodgson (1731), PhilipBainbridge (1725), Phil Dowkes (1738), Church wardens Richard Bowes (1723), George Sparling (1724), Thos Wilcox(1733), John Sparnel (1734), Will Ward (1735), John Tinsdale (1735), John Wilcox (1737), Richard Gorwood (1749), The Rector Christopher Bowes (1719), Thomas Longstaff (1751), the minister Will Ward (1733). The dates are the yearseen in the register - the full termof office is not shown.
Upcoming events for Normanby Church
Click any title to view the full event details
|Event title||Event Type||Location||Start Date||End Date||Related Church(es)|
|BBQ in aid of Langa Soup Kitchen||Fundraising||Wrelton Village Hall||02-07-2017 12.30 pm||02-07-2017 2.00 pm||Butterwick Church,Great Habton Church,Kirby Misperton Church,Normanby Church,Salton Church,Marton Mission Room,Middleton Church,Newton Upon Rawcliffe Church,Sinnington Church ,Sinnington Methodist Chapel|
|Pet Service on Newton Village Green||Special Service||Newton Village Green||08-07-2017 4.00 pm||08-07-2017 5.30 pm||Butterwick Church,Great Habton Church,Kirby Misperton Church,Normanby Church,Salton Church,Marton Mission Room,Middleton Church,Newton Upon Rawcliffe Church,Sinnington Church ,Sinnington Methodist Chapel|
News Stories for Normanby Church
Click any title to view the full story
|News title||News Date||Related Church(es)|
|Table of Services for both Benefices by Chris MJ||2017-02-28 20:21:40||Butterwick Church,Great Habton Church,Kirby Misperton Church,Normanby Church,Salton Church,Marton Mission Room,Middleton Church,Newton Upon Rawcliffe Church,Sinnington Church|
|St Cyprian's Church, Langa - Brief History of our involvement to date (Sept 2016) by Chris MJ||2016-09-08 16:08:20||Butterwick Church,Great Habton Church,Kirby Misperton Church,Normanby Church,Salton Church,Marton Mission Room,Middleton Church,Newton Upon Rawcliffe Church,Sinnington Church|
Downloads for Normanby Church
Click any title to view any additional info for the download or simply click "download" to get the file
|Download title||Download Type||Download Link||Related Church(es)|
|St Cyprian's Church, Langa - Brief History of our involvement to date (Sept 2016)||Reports||Click to download||Butterwick Church,Great Habton Church,Kirby Misperton Church,Normanby Church,Salton Church,Marton Mission Room,Middleton Church,Newton Upon Rawcliffe Church,Sinnington Church|
|St Cyprian's, Langa: 2016 Report on Outreach Programmes||Reports||Click to download||Butterwick Church,Great Habton Church,Kirby Misperton Church,Normanby Church,Salton Church,Marton Mission Room,Middleton Church,Newton Upon Rawcliffe Church,Sinnington Church ,Sinnington Methodist Chapel|
|Table of Services for both Benefices||Service Schedules||Click to download|
Staff list for Normanby Church
|Peter Laverick||Please login to view||Please login to view||Reader||Great Habton Church,Kirby Misperton Church,Normanby Church,Salton Church|
|David Jackson||Please login to view||Please login to view||Churchwarden||Normanby Church|
|Graham Cray||Please login to view||Please login to view||Retired Vicar||Butterwick Church,Great Habton Church,Kirby Misperton Church,Normanby Church,Salton Church|
|Jackie Cray||Please login to view||Please login to view||Retired Vicar||Butterwick Church,Great Habton Church,Kirby Misperton Church,Normanby Church,Salton Church|